i'm going to preface this by saying... it's a cute movie. it's not going to change the world. it doesn't have any MORE of an important message than any other animated movie anymore. and yes, it ends with the same "isn't everyone wonderful exactly the way they are and by the way the geek gets the girl" theme.
and the 80 times i've watched it, it's been background. i've been doing laundry. feeding bubby. alternately getting out/playing with bubby playing with/putting away bubbys blocks, rings, and toys. alternately hacking up a lung and sneezing into my hankie. so it took me till about the 68th watching to notice something.
they use the gods names.
i guess i hadn't really thought about it, but i really didn't expect them to. as with every other kids movie, i suppose i just expected them to gloss over the vikings religion. if they mentioned it at all. but they did. it actually played a pretty important, though small, role in the movie. stoick prays to odin. the blacksmith praises thor. astrid yells for freya's help. one of the twins even calls his sister "bride of grendel"
now, i love the norse gods. (and oddly, the greek goddesses. i'm weird like that) and i love love LOVE that this movie put them in. i can honestly say that i can't think of another movie, let alone a kids movie, that deals with an "alternate" religion in such a wonderful way. there was not preaching, no stuffing it down the masses throats. just being.... realistic. the gods were part of these vikings lives, but not the whole of it. they are mentioned not as a flag, but in passing.
and isn't that kind of how it should be? where it isn't that the religion is the message, but that the people were good, and kind, and just, no matter what there religion was?
so i'll be watching this move for at least another 80 times. a month. or so. admittedly it helps that i love dragons. and gerrard butler.
and for refrence, in this house.... the geek got the girl.
- ► 2013 (53)
- ► 2012 (19)
- ► 2011 (95)
- well, i made it
- gearing up for halloween
- votive candle to container candle in three easy cu...
- we have a new living room
- pumpkin light instructable
- If youre not part of the solution, youre part of t...
- ahh, finally
- kind of skipping today
- zombie walk. a journey in pictures
- a rather interesting realization
- happy birthday ... to me
- be kind, it's been a long time since i wrote poetr...
- the crud
- i'm watching "how to train your dragon" for like t...
- 100 pavers
- hay look, a bunny
- time suck
- by other broom is a car *
- long day
- Witches Brew
- i love this time of year. the leaves turn pretty ...
- My Best Ever Beef Stroganoff
- i had a whole different blog written, i really did...
- I am you. I'm a Kitchen Witch
- amendment to yesterdays blog
- Things I'm Currently Obsessed With
- Being a Pagan in a world of the Religious "Right"
- Race for the Cure
- im... im a geek
- im... im a geek
- What did i get myself into??
- ▼ October (33)