Sunday, October 2, 2011

The nine noble virtues

In heathen society (of which I think I'm now a member), there is a broad code of ethics that pretty much universally heathens subscribe to.  Its called the nine noble virtues.  They are : courage, discipline, fidelity, honor, hospitality, industriousness, perseverance, self-reliance, and truth.  Its kind of like a road map of how to live with integrity, the way a heathen should.  They are pretty universal on how to live a good life anyway.  Here's how I see them;

Courage.  'Speak your mind even if your voice shakes'  is what I think of when i think of courage.  Its not just the ability to fight, but the ability to simply speak up when you're terrified.  Courage is something I need to work on. 

Discipline. Discipline isn't about going to the gym every day, or vowing to never have another candy bar ever again.  Discipline is about going to work everyday when you want to be on the couch. About making sure the bills are paid, the bathroom gets painted, and the laundry is done.  Its about doing the little things that have to get done. 

Fidelity.  Fidelity is sticking with it.  With whatever it is for as long as it takes.  Sticking with a friendship, a marrage, a family member, a god, anyone.  No matter how difficult the path gets.  Admittedly, sometimes relationships end, but with fidelity, you've at least given it your best effort, and done everything gyou can to keep with it. (Conversly though, sometimes you have to let go to move on, you know?)

Honor.  Honor means, broadly, doing what is right, no matter what.  And sometimes that is the hardest thing in the world to do.  I mean think about it, how many times a day do you do something that you know is not 'right' even if it's 'legal?

Hospitality.  Act within the best interests of everyone.  Make the world a better place. Make everyone feel welcome.  This are just a couple of examples of hospitality.  And yes, I know, you're never going to be able to act in EVERYONES best interests, but even just trying to come up with a way to do so, helps.  Its the whole "manifestation of thought " principal.  (I had a $20 phrase, I had to use it)

Industriousness. This one I'd like to think I've got in spades.  Industriousness boils down to finding your gifts and honing them. Be productive. Do that voo doo that you doo so well.  Me, I'm crafty.  A lot.  So expect even more of that.

Perseverance.  If at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off, figure out what went wrong, try again.  Basicly, keep at it till its the best you can do.  This kind of goes hand in hand with fidelity.

Self-reliance. Not just being able to do for yourself, but also taking responsibility for your actions.  Put your ideas into action, then stand behind the action. 

Truth.  Ahhh, here's the tricky one.  Because its not just speaking the truth, its living the truth.  Being true to yourself, your dieties, and to your society.  Real truth. 

These are things that I'm trying to encorperate into my every day life.  Some I've got down, some I need a lot of work on. 

2 comments:

  1. Those sound like good human, principles, not just heathen ones. Good luck with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that set of virtues. Most of them come quite naturally to me, though as an only child who is both poor and cheap, that hospitality one poses the biggest obstacle. I need to work on both THINKING generously and following through. So that makes me a heathen, huh? I like it.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive