Thursday, November 4, 2010

i feel like a human twinkie

yes, i gave myself permission to never step on the scale again.  it was a bold move.  one that has changed the world.  um, yeah, not really.  nobody outside of my little corner of the world (and yes, that does include you) gave a flying rats right butt cheek.  and i'm ok with that, really.

and not stepping on the scale is freedom.  scary, horrible, terrifying freedom.  if i didn't have to weigh myself, there were no consequences.  no consequences, then there is no reason not to have this cupcake.  and that one.  if there's nothing keeping me in check, i have no real reason to get on the treadmill.  for a month.  and so on, and so on.

and after a while, i started to notice that i wasn't feeling good.  i started to feel like a human twinkie, stuffed with goo.  ever felt like that?  gross, huh?

i'd lost sight of why i started this experiment in the first place.  to be happy with who i am.  and i'm not happy feeling like i'm filled with artificially sweetened marshmallow fluff.  i don't think i know anybody who would be.  it's ooky.

so while i'm still not crazy about the scale, i'm going to keep better tabs on what goes into my body.  not only what's in the food i'm eating, but how much of it i eat.  and i'm getting back on the treadmill.  i know i am more serious about my exercise if there's something i'm training FOR, so i'll be looking for a race here soon.  (i'd like to do the warrior dash, but i don't think there's one close enough for me).

i'm working on loving my body.  but i have to show it some love too.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, that's what happens. Happened to me last Monday. For soem reason I decided I was going to have all the junk that I wanted, and that included several peanutbutter-caramel sandwiches with chocolate. And cookies. And cake. And crisps. And... - you get the idea.

    I felt terrible for days.

    A good way to avoid feeling like this is to read up on nutrition. I guess there are even books out there that make it sound like fun and less like a chemistry class. Find out what your body needs and why.

    (You don't have to step on the scale. Just try what feels good for you, physically. Which may include fruit, vegetables and exercise, in varying amounts. Loving your body does not depend on some numbers on a scale, but on doing what is best for you.)

    I am still sorry for that rant, by the way. (I had to write it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm addicted to carbs....we have this love hate relationship. I love them...but I hate what they do to my body. I've switched from eating so many carbs to eating fresh veggies w/ hummus. It's awesome. I still get the crunchy thing that I want and the hummus somehow satisfies my craving for bread on a level that I'm not even going to pretend to understand. And, bonus, it's so much better than devouring a 1/2 pack of Oreos followed by Fritos and bean dip. Yeah...I've done it.

    Good luck on your exercise thing...I still have yet to go that route.

    ReplyDelete