Monday, May 2, 2011

Pagan Coming Out Day

To be sure, I'm not really sure what I expected out of today.  A little solidarity, a little 'me too ing maybe.  I got a lot of friends 'liking' my status.  But really, not a lot happened.  But I'm pretty sure I know why.

See, I came out of the Broom Closet a while ago.  My husband always knew. My best friends never had a doubt. My parents have always been 100% suportive.  I've never really had to hide who I am.  I'm pretty damn lucky like that. I've received my fair share of hate full looks, a couple of 'you're going to hell's, and the usual 'you're different so I'm weary of you' that anyone who's ever been different will get.

But I've never been beaten for my beliefs.  I've never been drug out of my home to be surrounded by my friends and neighbors and have stones thrown at me till I die. I've never been raped and left for dead because of what I believe in.  That's never happened to me.

But it still happens in other places, to other people.  And not just in far away countries.  In this one.

So for this Pagan Coming Out Day I have only this to say (and if I'm in your twitter feed, or a facebook friend, you've heard it already so bare with me):

Today is Pagan Coming Out Day and for all of those can not say it, because of relationships, jobs, or even your own safety, I say for you, I am a Pagan.

2 comments:

  1. I experienced about the same, and count myself one of the lucky ones who is able to come out and not feel any sense of ridicule, shame, or violence.

    I'm glad you had a good IPCOD experience, and I hope others did as well. :)

    ReplyDelete